South Australia’s leading Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) professionals were recognised on 25 November at the SA Science Excellence and Innovation Awards, held at the SA Film Corporation’s Glenside studios.
SABRENet is a proud sponsor of the awards, which are a significant occasion in South Australia’s science calendar and are recognised as the state’s premier science event.
The prestigious Scientist of the Year award was won by SAHMRI’s Professor Maria Makrides who heads up one of the premier research centres at the forefront of mother-infant nutrition research in the world, leading a large, multidisciplinary team of more than 70 staff and students. Her vision is to give children the best start in life by embedding evidence-based nutrition approaches to prevent babies being born too early and achieve better infant health outcomes.
The 2022 SA Science Excellence and Innovation Award winners are:
- Scientist of the Year: Professor Maria Makrides, SAHMRI
- Innovator of the Year: Professor Andre Luiten, Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing, The University of Adelaide
- PhD Research Excellence Award: Dr Chelsea Thorn, University of South Australia
- STEMM Educator of the Year – Primary/Secondary: SPARK Team, Trinity College
- STEMM Educator of the Year – University/RTO: Dr Richard Lilly, The University of Adelaide
- Excellence in Science and Industry Collaboration: Driving Australia’s Blue Bioeconomy, Centre for Marine Bioproducts Development, Flinders University
Videos of all the winners can be viewed here.
Congratulations to the winners and all the finalists!